One of the best ways to help children grieve is to allow them to be a part of remembering their sibling. This allows them to work through their grief in a healthy way. Here are some ideas on incorporating siblings in remembering the brother or sister they lost and making them a part of your rituals.
- Allow them to contribute to the planning of the funeral: pick out pictures to share, songs to include, or clothes to wear.
- Give them a stuffed animal, blanket or other item to remember their sibling by.
- Create a photo book with pictures of them with their sibling.
- Share memories of your baby with them.
- Allow them to help plan subsequent birthdays and special days.
- Ask them how they would like to remember their sibling on special holidays.
For more general ideas on remembering your child, see the following blog.